New Patient Questions
Questions to ask if your doctor recommends surgery
- Why is this procedure being recommended?
- Are there alternatives?
- What are the benefits of this procedure in terms of pain relief, functioning/mobility?
- How long will the benefit last?
- What are the risks involved?
- What is the success rate for this procedure?
- What is the procedure called?
- How is it done?
- Will the surgery need to be repeated after a certain amount of time?
- How many of these procedures are annually performed at the hospital / orthopaedic surgery center?
- What percentage of patients improve following the procedure?
- What will happen if I don’t have the surgery now?
- If I want a second opinion, whom can I consult?
- Will my doctor perform the operation or will someone else?
- Is the doctor board certified?
- How many similar procedures have been done by my doctor?
- What are the outcomes?
- Will I need any tests or medical evaluations prior to the surgery?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used? Are there possible after effects or risks?
- Will I meet with the anesthesiologist in advance?
- Will the physician know my needs/allergies?
- What kind of implant or prosthesis will be used?
- What are the outcomes using this device?
- How long will it last?
- Will I have pain following the procedure?
- What pain relief or pain control measures will I be given?
- How long will the recovery take?
- What are my limitations during recovery?
- Will I need assistance at home afterwards? For how long?
- What will discharge instructions be?
- Will I have any disability following surgery?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- When can I return to work?
- When can I drive my car?
- When can I have sexual activity?
- Are there any written materials or video about this surgery that I can review?
If you have any other questions regarding your first visit to The Orthopaedic Institute, please call us at (352) 336-6000 or toll free 888-860-7050.
Accepted Insurance Plans
Subscribe to Our Newsletter for Tips on Healthy Living.